Computer Software Engineering (BS)
From commercial servers to mobile and embedded devices, almost everything we use relies on software. Our dynamic program will introduce you to the entire software development life cycle, including requirements, design, coding, testing, and deployment in a rigorous, hands-on, programming-intensive experience. You'll master computer programming, website design, networking and system development, and administration and take part in major projects that reflect real-world needs.
Graduates of this program develop programming expertise and experience significant technical depth in multiple areas. Typical jobs for graduates include test, release, or customer support engineers.
Students with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Software Engineering should be able to meet all the outcomes of the associate degree program as well as:
- Understand the behaviors and implementation of computer networking and be able to develop systems that utilize computer networking
- Understand the requirements for developing and deploying high-quality, large-scale software systems
- Design, implement, and evaluate a user interface for a computer system
- Understand the concepts and practice of relational databases
- Understand the security issues surrounding information technology and the appropriate tools and techniques to safeguard that security
- Understand the workings of modern operating systems, both in theory and in practice, and be able to work with an operating system using administrative tools
- Develop significant technical depth in additional areas approved by the department chair
- Understand the professional, historical, and social context of information technology and be able to make reasoned judgments about the social and ethical implications of their actions
In addition, all graduates must actively participate in the design, development, and evaluation of a sizable software system and present the results of those efforts.
Students, in conjunction with the department chair, may develop a sequence of courses to best meet their backgrounds and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum taken by students is shown below.
Engineering Technology Placement
The placement rate for the 2018 graduates of our Vermont Tech Engineering Technology degree programs.
To learn more about our programs and the Engineering Technology faculty and highly successful graduates, contact the Assistant Director of Admissions and Engineering Recruitment Specialist, Paul. Give him a call or email him a question.
Paul is here to help you learn why thousands of students have chosen Vermont Tech for its great job placement rates, close-knit community and STEM education.
Assistant Director of Admissions
Engineering Technology Recruitment Specialist
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Computer Software Engineering
Vermont Tech Computer Software Engineering student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.